THE LONG’S LEGACY
A Higher Standard
The legacy of Long’s Meat Market dates back to 1927, when Ernest “Butch” Long opened a butcher shop on Charnelton Street. Melvin Long worked alongside his father while attending the University of Oregon and earning a bachelor’s degree in business. The Great Depression took a toll on many local businesses. However, the butcher shop grew and persevered through the difficult economic times. During WWII, Melvin served in the Army Air Corp. He returned to the butcher shop after the war and took on two business partners.
Melvin, Marley Sims and Les Hettick established Long’s Meat Market in the building known as the Stanley Market, later the L&L Market, and today the home to the Bier Stein. Dick Wooley joined the team as an apprentice and began a his career as a meat cutter in 1959. His son Mike started out sweeping floors and found he had a passion for the business and worked alongside his father similar to Butch and Melvin when the shop was founded in 1927. In 1976 Dick purchased Long’s from Marley and Les. Dick retired in 1996 and Mike took over as owner and manager until 2016.
With a move to the old Chase Building at 81 E. 28th Avenue, Longs Meat Market established itself as an anchor retail business in Eugene’s Southtowne District. Working along the side of Mike, was Robert Frye. It was a natural progression for Robert to aspire to become the next generation owner. In the fall of 2016, Robert and Loretta Frye took over the reins of the store. The team of Robert and Loretta along with the meat cutters and deli-staff have added to the offerings of the butcher shop. Seasonal local vegetables and fruit are located near the meat counter, wine tastings paired with cheeses and savories are a welcome addition for customers.
The business continues to grow and flourish. With expanded deli offerings including made-to-order sandwiches, weekend barbecue and grill events during the summer. Rotisserie Wednesday’s have a loyal following for the spit roasted farm raised natural chicken. The seating area in the back of the deli allows customers to enjoy a sandwich, glass of wine, local micro-brew or cider on-site. Or order to-go and enjoy!
Long’s Meat Market is a local legacy business, welcoming new and regular customers with the same warmth and tradition that has made Long’s a must-stop shop in Eugene for more than 90 years.
Answering to a Higher Standard. Yours.